Festival season is in full swing (in case you didn’t already know) and some may say that it’s nearing its end with Fall approaching quite fast, but that’s no reason to go around pouting. Get your shit together, pack your backpacks, fannypacks, whatever it is you use these days to carry your belongings and follow us as we take you through Lollapalooza.
This time around, Andre Velez and I put together a definitive guide to all things happening inside and outside of the festival. After reviewing everything, we’ve come to the conclusion that there really isn’t much time for sleep so grab your passes, Red Bull or whatever it is you’re using to reduce your sleep, and follow us as we dive into one of the craziest festivals to ever grace this earth.
Lets begin by taking a look at the official Lolla map below. For first timers it can be a little overwhelming considering the size of the festival, but once you understand your surroundings you’ll be getting around in no time. They provide you with a nice legend in the top left so you can seek out your vendors and bathrooms quickly so there won’t be any accidents.
- Public Trans - Bus or rail are always the way to go, especially if you’re headed to Grant Park. CTA busses and railways will be running around the clock and extra plentiful this weekend. It’s quick, easy, and cheap. Head over to the Chicago Transit Authority website to plan your route.
- Bike – Bike racks are available next to the Lolla Box Office on Columbus Drive between Congress and Balbo. If you don’t feel safe locking your own bike, no fear, Active Trans Bike Valet is here. They will be providing free and secure bike parking.
- Kuma’s Corner – If you want to know who serves up Chicago’s best burgers, look no further. No longer will you have to travel up to the Northside to battle the crowds, Kuma’s will be served hot, fresh and ready to blow your taste buds off. No doubt the “Kuma Burger” will be on the menu but do yourself a favor and try something more unique than an egg on a burger. You won’t be disappointed.
- Franks ‘N’ Dawgs – Let’s be real, a Chicago-Style hotdog isn’t much to write home about. A Franks’ N’ Dawgs hotdog however, is. Each “Dawg” is given the utmost tender-loving care. Each sausage is created in-house daily topped with locally sourced artisanal ingredients placed inside an amazing New England style lobster roll. We like to call this the Kuma’s Corner of the hotdog world.
- Grahamwich – If you live in Chicago and don’t know who celebrity Chef Graham Elliot is, shame shame. With appearances on Iron Chef and Top Chef Masters, Lollapalooza’s world famous Culinary Director brings his newest establishment Grahamwich to hungry festival goers. Drop by the Grahamwich tent and try one of the expertly prepared sandwiches or grab a bag of the popular Truffled Popcorn for a tasty treat. Elliot will also be serving up his famous lobster corn dog and plans on selling over 12,000 during Lolla.
- Goose Island – Chicago’s most beloved and enjoyed breweries will be in attendance this year to feed music and beer lovers a dose of one of their delicious small-batch brews. No doubt it will be a scorcher so we recommend sipping on the smooth light Urban Wheat Ale, 312. If you need an extra buzz try one of our favorites, Honkers Ale and Matilda.
- The Smoke Daddy – True music lovers joint, with truly delicious BBQ. As you venture around the Lolla grounds you will surely catch a whiff of one of Chicago’s most delicious BBQ spots. With their meat smoked in-house daily and a menu that features one of their three famous homemade BBQ sauces, The Smoke Daddy will be sure to satisfy your belly.
Water and A/C
Lollapalooza is one of the few festivals that cares about fans dropping like flies due to heat exhaustion. If you find that you’ve been dancing a little too hard without the proper hydration, take a break from the madness and cool off at any one of these spot where you can find air conditioning and fresh flowing H2O. With temperatures expected to be in the 90’s be on the look out for the following…
- Playroom by Google
- #DELLLIVE Lounge
- Camel Bak Filling Stations
Everyone has an iPhone and if you don’t, well you don’t. Those of you who do will be able to hit the AppStore to download the official Lolla application. It comes equipped with a map, a schedule, information about all of the artists, a group text feature and a lot more. Don’t sleep on this!
Every festival provides its attendees with a ton of activities to do besides going to catch their favorite artists and Lolla is no different. Their activities list is quite extensive and includes workshops and cool things from Google, Red Bull, Toyota, Adidas, and much more. Be sure to check out the full list so you’re familiar with what’s happening around you once you arrive at the festival!
Official Lollapalooza Aftershows
A lot of the Lolla after shows have sold out already, but you can check on the status of tickets to all the shows below over at do312. They’ll take good care of you!
Zedd w/ Gus K, DJ Gordo, DJ Torio – 10:00PM (Doors) @ The Mid
NERO (DJ Set) w/ Die Antwoord, Anamanaguchi – 9:30PM (Doors) @ The Congress Theater
Porter Robinson and Madeon – 10:00PM (Doors) @ The Mid
Paper Diamond w/ Minnesota – 10:00PM (Doors) @ Bottom Lounge
M83 (DJ Set) – 10:00PM (Doors) @ Spy Bar
Frank Ocean – 11:00PM @ Metro
Zeds Dead and Big Gigantic w/ Midnight Conspiracy, Big Chocolate – 9:30PM (Doors) @ The Congress
Chancellor Warhol & Zebo Featuring DJ Trew – 9:00PM (Doors) @ ACE Bar
Calvin Harris w/ Nathan Scott - 10:00PM (Doors) @ The Mid
Jane’s Addiction w/ Franz Ferdinand - 10:00PM (Doors) @ Aragon Ballroom
Childish Gambino w/ Chance The Rapper - 1:00PM @ The Vic Theatre
Don’t have tickets to any of these shows? For Lolla weekend, Angels & Kings Chicago will host AK Nights. Check out DJ sets by ?uestlove and Pete Wentz at Angels and Kings Friday and Saturday located at the Hard Rock Hotel.
Before we wrap up and wish everyone a happy Lolla – you might want to stop over and check out their official Do’s & Dont’s section. It may help some of you from making some bad choices. Other than that you’re all set to have an amazing Lolla experience. Look out for the IMF team rocking tanks around the fest and stop and say hello. See everyone this weekend!